We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

adding failover IP

Abazada
28/11/2014, 04h38
Citation Envoyé par ioo1
well, I cannot see any information on change of conditions and reducing available IPs there. And still, this limitation renders virtual platforms useless - a common sense expectation is that you can access a VM over network and that your VM can access network.
thanks anyway, nowwhat. It turns out OVH is just making jokes of its clients
Hi. Why "useless" ?
To do what you want to do you need 2 IPs, and it turns out that your Kimsufi has 2 IPs

There are tons of Kimsufi who use VMWare ESXi without trouble, using IPv6 on the hosts and IPv4 for the Internet.
Here is a tutorial/HowTo for such configuration: http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread....r-Kimsufi-2013
This one is in French but certainly there must be one in English on one of Kimsufi English language forum.

ioo1
28/11/2014, 03h30
heise, it's technically easy and possible if you're fine with basic virtual networking and host-based virtualization, where you're running VMs as processes on some OS. It would also work on whatever + Vmware player.

But it's not an option if you go for any hypervisor system like xen or vsphere. it's also out of question if your main task was to play with virtual firewall systems and test configs on esx. I am using kimsufi as my playground for few years already and just wanted to upgrade to new (and cheaper) platform. I'm pretty surprised it didn't work and, honestly, feel cheated.

@Kimsufi - take your unusable crap back and give me back my money!

heise
28/11/2014, 01h17
It is technically pretty easy (well for a pro) to take a VPS with its own IPv4 and route that to your KS server and with iptables route that to a VM and return any traffic from the VM the same way back to the VPS. This way you can add as many IPs to a VM as you like. Not sure how much configuration freedom you have in crippled OS like Xen, Promox, VMware you have to do something like that, but it's possible in CentOS + Virtualization. They only offer you to install the OS via their control panel onto your server .They never made any claims to weather their server is suitable for such a task.

Sorry to hear, that you didn't realize the changes Kimsufi has undergone last years. There is one change I would like to mention, that you may not have realized, people complain about weeks not getting hardware defect fixed in Kimsufi and Soyoustart. You didn't have that in the past.

nowwhat
27/11/2014, 23h55
?
This is KS, not OVH (Ok, Ok, OVH might be the holding above, but who cares).
KS is the "really not expensive" series of KS, for those who want only ONE thing: an inexpensive server to toy around with ( I wouldn't make it a production server, you would have fallen into other surprises).

Look here: www.soyoustart.com if you need all the extra stuff, like IPFO, backup, Windows, or whatever.

ioo1
27/11/2014, 23h40
well, I cannot see any information on change of conditions and reducing available IPs there. And still, this limitation renders virtual platforms useless - a common sense expectation is that you can access a VM over network and that your VM can access network.

thanks anyway, nowwhat. It turns out OVH is just making jokes of its clients

heise
27/11/2014, 23h35
CentOS with Virt-manager and KVM and NAT works very well.

nowwhat
27/11/2014, 22h42
A KS is a server sold with with ONE IPv4 and ONE IPv6.
Source: http://www.kimsufi.com/en/ (see also on the bottom - right side: Read after "Need more" ).

ioo1
27/11/2014, 22h10
Citation Envoyé par nowwhat
That is correct.
IP failovers are not an option for KS servers anymore.
Really??? so what's the use for hypervisors in kimsufi. It simply makes no sense to have a system in a cloud, which you cannot access over network.

nowwhat
27/11/2014, 21h49
That is correct.
IP failovers are not an option for KS servers anymore.

ioo1
27/11/2014, 21h43
How can I add a failover IP with new kimsufi panel? Previously kimsufi customers had access to ovh panel, where you can do it, now all I can see is dashboard with my server info. The only configuration option is OS reinstall