We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Rescue mode didnt worked to recover files / fix the issue. What now?

NLBlackEagle
04/12/2014, 19h43
True, I also choosed for KS since the price is low, so its only natural that the support will give late reactions and dont offer support. It´s fine to mess around and learn a bit. I simply never expected to mess up so badly :P Good advice tho, always make backups :P

nowwhat
04/12/2014, 09h15
Citation Envoyé par NLBlackEagle
It would be nice if it where teached to me, and probally even better if someone could fix this for me. I will provide the access info. But I wonder if that where your intentions since fixing a server for someone.. Well Most people wouldnt feel to do so. So, what did you meant? Help out by directing me or help out by fixing the issue itself?
Don't worry.
If heise said he will be rolling out the Qemu series, just say "yes" and wait. Details about the Qemu can be found in earlier threads on this forum they will convince you, if needed.
Many people come to this forum to ask question. Then they leave.
Some people, like heise, come here often, just to see if they can help with thing they solved already ones before.

There is nothing to learn, although I would also wanted to know to to repair these kind of situations. But, keep in mind that what you should know is already known:
The easy solution for major problems : just backup. Nearly any admin can handle that one.
To have a last minute backup when using a KS, you NEED a clone of your server - or at least a server with Raid 1.
Better: thing about leaving KS: next time (if it isnt THIS time) your drive just died and heise won't do any good, a clean-room might help you.

KS's are fine - as long as your data isn't mission critical - as long as it's Ok to have your server off-line for some days / weaks for some reason.

NLBlackEagle
04/12/2014, 05h35
Citation Envoyé par heise
You can contact me for help. I would get my Qemu instructions (see Windows installation) out (again ), boot a WinPE environment of an iso image and check your partitions. This way you should be able to recover anything you need, fix what you want and limited run any portable windows program. Linux isn't good for working on ntfs. It can read/write but not repair anything beyond small trivial problems (yet).

If you did install Hyper-V in the beginning, you would have a Windows rescue system, which let's you run any Windows program you need.

Don't expect any help from Kimsufi. Servers are unmanaged.
Ill be going to switch to soyoustart instead after I've recovered those files then probally. Anyway as you said you can help me, then lets start with the biggest issue, I have no clue what im doing haha.

It would be nice if it where teached to me, and probally even better if someone could fix this for me. I will provide the access info. But I wonder if that where your intentions since fixing a server for someone.. Well Most people wouldnt feel to do so. So, what did you meant? Help out by directing me or help out by fixing the issue itself?

heise
04/12/2014, 03h16
You can contact me for help. I would get my Qemu instructions (see Windows installation) out (again ), boot a WinPE environment of an iso image and check your partitions. This way you should be able to recover anything you need, fix what you want and limited run any portable windows program. Linux isn't good for working on ntfs. It can read/write but not repair anything beyond small trivial problems (yet).

If you did install Hyper-V in the beginning, you would have a Windows rescue system, which let's you run any Windows program you need.

Don't expect any help from Kimsufi. Servers are unmanaged.

Kitty
04/12/2014, 02h34
You have a GPT partition, which may contain others.

Try gdisk instead.

Code:
# fdisk -l /dev/sda

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1      243202  1953514583+  ee  GPT

# gdisk -l /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.10

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sda: 3907029168 sectors, 1.8 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 95472FF3-C840-4BAD-BC28-925802145D84
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 3907029135
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 10389 sectors (5.1 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40            2048   1004.5 KiB  EF02  primary
   2            4096        40962047   19.5 GiB    FD00  primary
   3        40962048      3905974271   1.8 TiB     FD00  primary
   4      3905974272      3907020799   511.0 MiB   8200  primary
Or parted:
Code:
# parted
GNU Parted 2.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) select /dev/sda
Using /dev/sda
(parted) print
Model: ATA HGST HUS724020AL (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
 1      20.5kB  1049kB  1029kB                  primary  bios_grub
 2      2097kB  21.0GB  21.0GB  ext3            primary  raid
 3      21.0GB  2000GB  1979GB                  primary  raid
 4      2000GB  2000GB  536MB   linux-swap(v1)  primary

(parted) quit

NLBlackEagle
04/12/2014, 02h25
Citation Envoyé par Kitty
This is for Linux, but if you have separate system/data partitions it may help: http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread....home-partition

At worst, you could probably install a minimal system of some sort and recover the other partitions using fdisk.
I sadly only have one partition which is the main one, I can't run any recovery programs from that since rescue mode doesnt allow the commands needed to do so. I could ofcourse make a partition but there is absolutely no guarantee if that partition will also become corrupted, it might even overwrite my data since there are corrupt files

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 3907029167 1953514583+ ee GPT

root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda1
mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
root@rescue:~#

Kitty
04/12/2014, 02h20
This is for Linux, but if you have separate system/data partitions it may help: http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread....home-partition

At worst, you could probably install a minimal system of some sort and recover the other partitions using fdisk.

NLBlackEagle
04/12/2014, 02h04
Hello everyone.

After searching and searching I consulted a friend of mine which has more knowledge of linux then I do. I said that I'll even be willing to pay for his support on this issue. After discussing and trying for a couple of hours he said 'I can't think of any solutions anymore except for the ones that need hardware access.' This is how we came to that conclusion:

After I found the issue I did a reboot in rescue mode. I've runned testdisk which confirmed the error was on the HDD primary partition. When I tried to mount the HDD it said the NTFS files where corrupted. This is when I contacted my friend. I told him everything and we tried it over, this didnt worked.

At that moment I agreed that fixing the server wasnt a option anymore but it's a long time ago I've took a backup of the files so I wanted to recover them. For this we used r-studio but rescue mode wasnt able to run any command which was needed to start it up.

So my question is could OVH make a recovery without deleting any data files? And where could I ask them this to do? Im Willing to pay to get support for this since a huge amount of files will be lost if I did a clean instal.

So, please could you help me out? I dont know any solution to this anymore