OVH Community, your new community space.

LOST DATA - Replacment of HDD without any information

mocekp
23/12/2015, 15h18
OVH >> "these servers are meant to be "training servers" without mission critical activities."
When I've bought this service noone say me that it is training service. I've paid for it even more than for other ovh servers.

OVH >> what do you means by "HD disk connected to USB"
I've checked in invoices and probably I had it in previous machnine

OVH >> Sending over won't be free - you'll have to pay them (they will inform you).
Please send me information what is cost of this. You have ticket [TICKET#2015122319035121] connected to this topic.

nowwhat
23/12/2015, 14h02
Hello,

Post a ticket mentionning the issue number that you want to receive the hard disk at home. You can salvage any data then (if possible). At worst, you'll be needing a company who is specialized in this kind of work.
Sending over won't be free - you'll have to pay them (they will inform you).

When a server goes down because the disk is damaged, KS will not know 'why' that at that very moment (although, if you have ke OVH/KS monitoring activated, the do have the error messages about the disk failing). They just restart the server, and checks if it comes up again.
If it makes a strange sound (or smoke is coming out of the drive), they will investigate further.
The disk will be changed right away, if, for example, the drive motor is broken (which means : no-one can access nothing anymore .... ) their is no possibility that you, using rescue mode, could retrieve the data.
As you might understand : having a valid backup is not a luxury, drives do die (all the time).

Btw : what do you means by "HD disk connected to USB" ?

Consider also leaving KS servers - go for a more serious product like SYS - if you do do something serious with your server : these servers are meant to be "training servers" without mission critical activities.

mocekp
23/12/2015, 13h18
Hello
12/21/2015 I received a message that main HDD on my server ks388662.kimsufi.com was replaced. This means for me lose of all the data and results of 8yers work. I had backup on HD disk connected to USB -> additional service that I bought. I do not have access to the drive and all data are lost.

I think that this situation is unacceptable. I have not received any notification that the disc will be replaced. I've only get information that in my server there is new empty HDD and fresh serwer software was installed.

For me it is a scandal. I've paid for yours service since 6-7 years. And now I've lost all my work! Please let me know how I can recover the data.

Yours sincerely
Piotr Mocek