We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Run Windows in VM

DmilZ
03/05/2016, 11h38
Hello,

You can install whatever you want on the server. Kimsufi provides the harware but you're the only one in reponsible of the software part.
You can install Windows 2012 on a Kimsufi however remember that there is no KVM provided so in case of issue with Windows later you won't be able to troubleshoot and fix easily.

Multiscan
17/04/2016, 03h15
cool , thx guys . trying to deploy 2012 on KS4 i5 (euro) at the moment.

nowwhat
15/04/2016, 16h47
Thousands run a Microsoft OS on a KS right now.
All you need is:
A valid license.
Some "read" capabilities so you can apply the somewhat off standard install method.

Fisir
15/04/2016, 16h21
Kimsufi won't suspend your server or restrict the installation of Windows, they just don't provide support for these cases, so you must install it via recovery and find proper drivers by yourself. This is what the support said:
Actually you can install anything you want on your server, but from our Control panel it is not possible to install Windows and we do not even provide support for it, but some our customers find ways how to install Windows.

levemsan
15/04/2016, 15h48
@Multiscan
As far I know, you are allowed to run Windows as main OS on your kimsufi dedicated server.
I had the same thoughts in the past, but I've got confirmation from support; they don't have any problems with this thing

Multiscan
15/04/2016, 11h48
Citation Envoyé par Fisir
Thank you. I know that it would be the best to run just Linux, but I need to setup remote desktop connection and use an important Windows-only piece of software. So not using Windows is out of play. Kimsufi support responded that there's no problem with virtualizing Windows (or even installing Windows as the main OS, they just do not provide support for these cases).

But I'll go with virtualized Windows, as I will also need to host a website, DNS server and email server, so I will do that on the Linux host and then run virtualized Windows. I was concerned about your statement that without VT-D support virtualized Windows will be unusable. However, I'm already preparing the server on my local machine with Windows as the host OS. I use VMware Player to run minimal installation of Ubuntu (with even less RAM that will be available on the production server) and then, within the virtualized Linux, I (using VMware Player again) virtualize Windows 7. My processor does have VT-D support, but from what I was able to find in VMware knowledge base, VMware Player doesn't take advantage of it anyway. And Windows performance is (despite it goes through two layers of virtualization) pretty good.

But anyways, thank you for posting your point of view and if I find performance issues, I'll try to install Windows as the main OS, since thanks to you now I know the tutorials actually work.

If anyone else has some experience with running Windows either virtualized or native, I'd appreciate your opinion on this case.

Fisir,
did you get written confirmation from support that you can run Windows as main OS?

Thx

Fisir
14/04/2016, 19h02
Thank you. I know that it would be the best to run just Linux, but I need to setup remote desktop connection and use an important Windows-only piece of software. So not using Windows is out of play. Kimsufi support responded that there's no problem with virtualizing Windows (or even installing Windows as the main OS, they just do not provide support for these cases).

But I'll go with virtualized Windows, as I will also need to host a website, DNS server and email server, so I will do that on the Linux host and then run virtualized Windows. I was concerned about your statement that without VT-D support virtualized Windows will be unusable. However, I'm already preparing the server on my local machine with Windows as the host OS. I use VMware Player to run minimal installation of Ubuntu (with even less RAM that will be available on the production server) and then, within the virtualized Linux, I (using VMware Player again) virtualize Windows 7. My processor does have VT-D support, but from what I was able to find in VMware knowledge base, VMware Player doesn't take advantage of it anyway. And Windows performance is (despite it goes through two layers of virtualization) pretty good.

But anyways, thank you for posting your point of view and if I find performance issues, I'll try to install Windows as the main OS, since thanks to you now I know the tutorials actually work.

If anyone else has some experience with running Windows either virtualized or native, I'd appreciate your opinion on this case.

danr
14/04/2016, 00h35
I have used some of the tutorials you mentioned, and although they do work, you need to have an internet connection capable of uploading a fairly large image file, and to be honest, the performance with even a base Windows install is pretty poor, even for hobby use.
About virtualisation, as far as I can tell, the processors used in the (lower end models at least) Kimsufi boxes are pretty weak and don't have VT-D support, so any virtusalised Windows instance is going to be unusable.

I would advise exploring the Linux operating systems, as they will make much better use of the hardware.

Fisir
08/04/2016, 22h53
Hi,
I really need to run Windows operating system. I found a few tutorials how to install Windows onto a Kimsufi server, but I don't want to order a server and then find out that the described methods are not working (or have my server suspended). So I thought if it would be possible to run some Linux distribution and then use some virtualization to run Windows. Is it possible or does Kimsufi have some sort of protection against this?