We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

OVH's Special Kernels?

nowwhat
10/05/2016, 18h37
Hi,

What you should know is this :
... could not open /proc/modules
"OVH" kernels (kernels prepared for their servers) do not use the "modules" option -* everything is packed in the kernel, modules are not allowed.

So, if you want to install this "VirtualBox", you should install another kernel that supports modules.
This often boils down to : do some shopping here : www.kernel.org - set it up (use a config from a most recent OVH kernel - ans activate module support ) compile and build it - install it. Reboot. And you'll be using your "own" kernel.

jakesully123456
09/05/2016, 22h55
Hello,

I'm trying to setup VirtualBox on my machine (running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server), however, when I run the installer I am informed by the installer that my kernel module (3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64) cannot be found, full log:
Code:
The following NEW packages will be installed
  virtualbox-5.0
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 8 not to upgrade.
Need to get 0 B/62.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 155 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package virtualbox-5.0.
(Reading database ... 61381 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../virtualbox-5.0_5.0.20-106931~Ubuntu~trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking virtualbox-5.0 (5.0.20-106931~Ubuntu~trusty) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.2-0ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Setting up virtualbox-5.0 (5.0.20-106931~Ubuntu~trusty) ...
addgroup: The group `vboxusers' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel moduleslibkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1619 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory
Error: could not get list of modules: No such file or directory
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1619 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:1619 kmod_module_new_from_loaded: could not open /proc/modules: No such file or directory
 ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSError! Your kernel headers for kernel 3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 cannot be found.
Please install the linux-headers-3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 package,
or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located
 ...failed!
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
I was wondering if I could have help setting up VirtualBox using the special custom kernel that OVH clearly use (having checked "uname -r" it appears so).

Thanks,
jakesully123456