We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Server down after motherboard replacement - and no answer to ticket for a week :(

farialima
20/09/2016, 01h01
thanks a lot for this advice ! I was able to boot in safe mode, and to access the "Check hardware" web interface, as well as SSHing to the machine.

I was able to run the tests, and there seems to be an issue with the harddrives, they show:

sda1 Errors have been detected 20 GB (21%)
sda2 Errors have been detected 911 GB
sda3 Errors have been detected 0.5 GB

and indeed they can't be mounted:
Code:
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mountsda1/
mount: /dev/sda1: can't read superblock
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mountsda1
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda2 /mountsda1
mount: /dev/sda2: can't read superblock
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda3 /mountsda3
mount: /dev/sda3: can't read superblock
root@rescue:~# fdisk -l
root@rescue:~#
I could run a "fsck -y", or something else, to try to reccover the disk -- but since the problem occured because of a maintenance done by OVH, I'm hesitating trying to repair it myself. I would suppose that OVH's maintenance team should be responsible for repairing what was broken during their maintenance ? It also depend on what are the risks associated with "fsck -y".. I don't know if there's any risk associated with it.

Still I would hope some sort of answer from OVH support/maintenance team ?

thanks again for your help...

farialima
20/09/2016, 00h55
thanks a lot for this advice ! I was able to boot in safe mode, and to access the "Check hardware" web interface, as well as SSHing to the machine.

I was able to run the tests, and there seems to be an issue with the harddrives, they show:

sda1 Errors have been detected 20 GB (21%)
sda2 Errors have been detected 911 GB
sda3 Errors have been detected 0.5 GB

and indeed they can't be mounted:
Code:
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mountsda1/
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mountsda1
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda2 /mountsda1
mount: /dev/sda2: can't read superblock
root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda3 /mountsda3
mount: /dev/sda3: can't read superblock
root@rescue:~# fdisk -l
root@rescue:~#
I could run a "fsck -y", or something else, to try to reccover the disk -- but since the problem occured because of a maintenance done by OVH, I'm hesitating trying to repair it myself. I would suppose that OVH's maintenance team should be responsible for repairing what was broken during their maintenance ? It also depend on what are the risks associated with "fsck -y".. I don't know if there's any risk associated with it.

Still I would hope some sort of answer from OVH support/maintenance team ?

thanks again for your help...

nowwhat
19/09/2016, 19h03
Hi,

What you can do while waiting :
Boot your server in rescue mode.
AS soon as you're in (SSH only), MOUNT your partions.
Look for the logs files (your logs files, not the ones from the rescue kernel !), begin with the file called 'dmseg'.
Everything looks fine ?

Do also a complete hardware test, avaible when rescue mode is activated.

farialima
19/09/2016, 18h28
A week ago, OVH maint replaced the motherboard of one of my Kimsufi machines -- but the machine didn't restart properly. The maint report says: "DHCP OK. Boot OK. Serveur sur 'login'. Ping OK, services demarres." and indeed pings OK... but nothing else ! The machine didn't restart correctly

I've created a support ticket, but I haven't gotten any answer for nearly a week...

1) I think that this is OVH's responsability - since my server was quite stable before the motherboard replacement...
2) Even if it's not OVH's fault, I would expect an answer to my support ticket - at least an acknowledgment

So my question to the community: Is support for KS so poor that I simply consider this machine as dead, good for re-installation of the OS (or maybe get a server somewhere else...), and not even bother for an answer ? Or, is there a way I can get OVH to at least answer me, if possible investigate the problem, and ideally fix it ?

In case someone of OVH is around the ticket is https://www.ovh.com/manager/dedicate...ticket/3784647

thanks