We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Server down

pixael
24/01/2017, 15h21
Citation Envoyé par nowwhat
KS created this forum for user to user support. No KS people can be found here, only user like you and me.
What do you expect that they should do for you ?
Based on what ?
maybe let the server work again? Like change the HDDs????

nowwhat
24/01/2017, 13h50
KS created this forum for user to user support. No KS people can be found here, only user like you and me.
What do you expect that they should do for you ?
Based on what ?

pixael
24/01/2017, 13h09
OVH is not KS. The business model between those companies is completely different.
It's like comparing the most cheapest BMW, and the most expensive one ..... their will be differences.

OVH (www.ovh.com see their servers - SEE their prices - see what they promis and include ...)
KS : www.kimsufi.com - see - and look carefully - take out the commercial blabla except : "not expensive" - check out this forum and you'll see what KS is really about : cheap - period.

Btw : Even "OVH" will not offer you any administration services, and NO advise how to manage your server - you have to out-source that - or : do it yourself.
OVH will change a disk in within half an hour, day and night.

I do understand you're not happy. I left KS because of any service reactivity (for example :changing a hard disk when it fails that can take more then a week). I couldn't afford to have my server down for several days. I took a SYS, which seems to be faster.

I advise you to make your server boot from that one disk left (if it's still ok - it has been seen that both disks die at the same time - mirrored drives do not remove every risks - backups should be made or you're out of business the day you start).
When "fdisk -l" doesn't list any drives at all, then yes, that's scary ....
I'm talking about the support honestly... it is the worst I've ever seen... 5 days and still no answers... never again

nowwhat
24/01/2017, 12h45
OVH is not KS. The business model between those companies is completely different.
It's like comparing the most cheapest BMW, and the most expensive one ..... their will be differences.

OVH (www.ovh.com see their servers - SEE their prices - see what they promis and include ...)
KS : www.kimsufi.com - see - and look carefully - take out the commercial blabla except : "not expensive" - check out this forum and you'll see what KS is really about : cheap - period.

Btw : Even "OVH" will not offer you any administration services, and NO advise how to manage your server - you have to out-source that - or : do it yourself.
OVH will change a disk in within half an hour, day and night.

I do understand you're not happy. I left KS because of any service reactivity (for example :changing a hard disk when it fails that can take more then a week). I couldn't afford to have my server down for several days. I took a SYS, which seems to be faster.

I advise you to make your server boot from that one disk left (if it's still ok - it has been seen that both disks die at the same time - mirrored drives do not remove every risks - backups should be made or you're out of business the day you start).
When "fdisk -l" doesn't list any drives at all, then yes, that's scary ....

pixael
24/01/2017, 11h58
[QUOTE=nowwhat;199409]
Citation Envoyé par pixael
The point is that nobody is giving me an answer... The server is being down since Friday and I've created 4 tickets already with not even one reply from the support... this is a joke what service is this? What kind of support do they give?

=> Read this to get some answers fast : https://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread...Unofficial-FAQ
I agree, you're are not looking for that information. But you can stop looking. Now you know.

KS is not there to learn you how to manage your server and OS.
They are only with 3 tasks : supply power, an internet connection and repair the hardeware if it breaks down.
Never ever software support.

This is new information.
Raid 0 ? => Game over.
Raid 1 => (== "mirroring") : you should be able to start your server, booting it from one disk, what one that should contain valid information.

You should 'manage' your server with mdadm or whatever software you use to manage your mirrored drives.

What does

shows you ?

( What you mentioned above are details form 14 ?? RAM drives - probably created by the rescue environment.)
That's what the fdisk -l command is showing me... anyway the fact that nobody from the support gives a reply is ridiculous... I sent a lot of customers to OVH but now I'm very worried... I don't think I will never suggest OVH to anybody else.

nowwhat
24/01/2017, 11h39
[QUOTE=pixael;199408]The point is that nobody is giving me an answer... The server is being down since Friday and I've created 4 tickets already with not even one reply from the support... this is a joke what service is this? What kind of support do they give?

=> Read this to get some answers fast : https://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread...Unofficial-FAQ
I agree, you're are not looking for that information. But you can stop looking. Now you know.

KS is not there to learn you how to manage your server and OS.
They are only with 3 tasks : supply power, an internet connection and repair the hardeware if it breaks down.
Never ever software support.

Citation Envoyé par pixael
And then what's the point to have 2 HDDs in mirroring?
This is new information.
Raid 0 ? => Game over.
Raid 1 => (== "mirroring") : you should be able to start your server, booting it from one disk, what one that should contain valid information.

You should 'manage' your server with mdadm or whatever software you use to manage your mirrored drives.

What does
fdisk -l
shows you ?

( What you mentioned above are details form 14 ?? RAM drives - probably created by the rescue environment.)

pixael
24/01/2017, 10h59
Hi,

Rescue mode can be useful to salvage some data. But normally, when a disk dies - for example : the heads aren't moving anymore - or the plates aren't turning anymore, you can't do anything.
Opening 4 tickets for a dead disk, .... why ? One ticket will do : order them to CHANGE it for a new one.
Let me introduce you the translated name of the server's brand : "Kimsufi" ==> "All you ever wanted - and NOTHING more". Because of this, they can propose a server for a very low price. Low price, of course, means low or nothing about service.
Anyway, a dead disk, even the almighty one, won't be able to help you here. So KS tech service won't be able to help you neither.
The only one that could do something, was YOU, by taking in insurance, .... sorry : backups !! (because, after all, disks die all the time, it just a matter if time).

KS will replace you disk for free - the new one will be empty. You have to install the OS, etc.
After the disk has been changed, lauch a new ticket, and have it send over to you (costs about 120 $) . So you can send it to a specialized company that can retrieve your data. This will cost you a max ....
The point is that nobody is giving me an answer... The server is being down since Friday and I've created 4 tickets already with not even one reply from the support... this is a joke what service is this? What kind of support do they give? And then what's the point to have 2 HDDs in mirroring?

nowwhat
24/01/2017, 08h03
Hi,

Rescue mode can be useful to salvage some data. But normally, when a disk dies - for example : the heads aren't moving anymore - or the plates aren't turning anymore, you can't do anything.
Opening 4 tickets for a dead disk, .... why ? One ticket will do : order them to CHANGE it for a new one.
Let me introduce you the translated name of the server's brand : "Kimsufi" ==> "All you ever wanted - and NOTHING more". Because of this, they can propose a server for a very low price. Low price, of course, means low or nothing about service.
Anyway, a dead disk, even the almighty one, won't be able to help you here. So KS tech service won't be able to help you neither.
The only one that could do something, was YOU, by taking in insurance, .... sorry : backups !! (because, after all, disks die all the time, it just a matter if time).

KS will replace you disk for free - the new one will be empty. You have to install the OS, etc.
After the disk has been changed, lauch a new ticket, and have it send over to you (costs about 120 $) . So you can send it to a specialized company that can retrieve your data. This will cost you a max ....

pixael
23/01/2017, 18h16
Hi my server has been down since Friday. I've got an email from OVH support telling me that an HDD is defective and I should make a backup to let you swap the hard disk but via rescue mode I can't see any partition to mount... I've opened already 4 tickets but nobody is answering me... I guess you got the worst support ever... meanwhile my server is still unreachable.
Here is the output of the fdisk command:

Disk /dev/ram0: 4 MiB, 4194304 bytes, 8192 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk /dev/ram1: 4 MiB, 4194304 bytes, 8192 sectors
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk /dev/ram2: 4 MiB, 4194304 bytes, 8192 sectors